Friday, September 3, 2010

Detour Ahead

So there I was minding my own business, reading some material for my Rhetoric and Composition class and boom! There is some information on the Biblioteca ("I believe that is spanish for bible" Ron Burgundy), and given that I am concurrently looking at the Bible I decided to look into it. The piece was called "Pursuasion in Greek Literature before 400 B.C." taken from a book titled, A New History of Classical Rhetoric by George Kennedy. In it, on page 12 he refers to, "the Gospel according to Saint John and, "In the Begining was the Word," where it refers to God's plan and thus to Christ. Logos is thus a very broad concept." So in the begining there was the word, well at least according to John. Later Kennedy goes on to write about christians problem with rhetoric and his evidence is this from the bible, "Saint Paul in first Corinthians (2:4) rejects the "wisdom of this world": "My speech and my proclamation are not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and power, in order that your faith may not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God." If I may interject Mr. Paul, but if I am not mistaken the Bible was written by men. Even if it is in fact the word of God it was transcribed by men. Hell, one transciptionists error in that text could have changed history, and who's to say that there weren't errors in the transcription of the bible; additions, subtractions, revisions, reversal of wording. Robin Williams once had said, "what if thou shall not kill was actually supposed to be thou shall not wear kilts."

As far as the differences between Genesis 1 & 2 they seem slight yet still noticeable. The shift from, "God" to "Lord God" are interesting, because in the first paragraph the writer uses the just "God" then starting in the second paragraph lines 4 and 5 the writer switches to the use of "Lord God." Why you ask, I don't know seems fishy, jesus fishy. Then it is true that the writer goes on to recapitulate the creation myth in different terms. This second version, or creation 2.0 if you will, is by far more poetic in style. Now was this just to one up the first writer I don't know I wasn't there, but there must be purpose for it. One more tid bit I noticed was that the second piece was on the borderline of giving out the directions to the garden of eden (some lattitudes and longitudes would be helpful). I will continue to not read everyones blogs to find the answer, just kidding.

Till next time blogging bible buddies.

1 comment:

  1. That's an amazing Robin Williams quote.

    Also (since I'm already here now), I think the second version, or creation 2.0, is merely a classic literary trick of repetition. If we didn't get it the first time, it sure as hell better sink in the second time around. I'm sure there's a much deeper explanation, but for now this is all I have come up with. When things are explained twice, especially when they are explained in slightly different ways, our minds grasp onto the idea easier. I also imagine that because a lot of this was oral at one time or another, this repetitive process probably helped with simply remembering the story.

    Just a thought.
    PeaceLove

    ReplyDelete