Thursday, September 9, 2010

Non Literary text as Literary text and Bible Progress not perfection.

It would seem that more often than not in Literary studies of any kind, readers must do close readings of the texts that they are studying. For example we in class together did a pseudo close reading of Sam's receipt. We gained all sorts of interesting insight from the information on the receipt, like dates times, there was kegger hosted by Sam (at that point the receipt becomes evidence). That word for me is key, "Evidence." To clarify I am not talking about evidence in a case like criminal evidence, I am talking about evidence as it pertains to historical record, something to be looked back on. A piece for reflection.

For instance I just got a new job. So recently I had to read through the orientation hand book, and it has all sorts of rules and regulations, as well as the businesses mission statement etc... What is funny is that it is like a bible for an Italian restaurant. In the beginning it says, "Paul and Karen Ward, as proprietors, welcome you...this franchise brought to you through an agreement with Fired-up Inc., the corporate owner..." really the opener that I extracted these lines from is a creation story of another kind not unlike Genesis. The CEO of the corporation goes by the name Abdallah (biblicalish). Then there is a sort of 10 commandments of working at the Italian restaurant and I quote:

"In the Villages of the Italian Countryside:"

1. The elderly are revered and respected for their wisdom.
2. Children are adored, and well attended.
3.Romance is cherished, so couple receive warm, yet unobtrusive, service and hospitality.
4.There is room for families to gather around big tables to enjoy a leisurely meal.
5.Single diners may be alone, but not lonely-they are welcomed with gracious service.
6. No on is a stranger-all are made to feel at home.

I could go on and on with the biblical type similarities. This presented to me how much of the Bible really acts as an ancient and archaic orientation hand book for life.

Another thing I wanted to add quickly is that I have got to read the Bible Carefully. I would read the Bible then read Plotz's "The Good Book" and see that I missed something in my reading. I would then go back over the Bible reading and what do you know I read right of it. For instance Plotz was talking about the three wise men coming to Abraham, and I thought, "Whoa! When did that happen?" Then I would go back over it an what do you know three wise men. Bottom line my reading is going really slow because otherwise I am just not picking up what the God put down (text on the page). Just finished Genesis, going on into Exodus, slow and steady wins the race?

No comments:

Post a Comment