Wednesday, September 29, 2010

How to cite (not smite) The Bible.

Recently I was working on a paper for another class and I wanted to reference The Bible. That is when I thought, "how do you reference The Bible?" In all seriousness I have never once used The Bible as a reference in any paper. However upon reading some of The Bible I now know that I have inadvertently quoted The Bible many times over the course of my academic career however this was the only time I have payed any intelectual royalties to it. So first I hunted down my McGraw-Hill Handbook (another type of bible). However that proved to be fruitless because they did not include any specific citations for The Bible or at least citations fitting to The Bible. Then it was off to the internet (another infinite bible) to look for the answers. Low and behold there it was the answer, on the internet. The Bible gets its own special kind of citations. If you are curious go to http://hbl.gcc.edu/citingBIBLE.htm for MLA, APA, Turabian, and Chicago style formats. The Bible realy is a uique thing in many way it truly is a stand alone text in terms of fame and infamy. Also if you notice the word bible I have capitalized in reference to The Bible, however I also use The Bible for its extended meaning. In the dictionary the term bible has taken on the extended meaning of: any book, reference work, periodical, etc., accepted as authoritative, informative, or reliable. Very interesting I find that The Bible has almost become a in and of itself a cliche.

No comments:

Post a Comment